How to Keep Your HVAC Repair Costs Down

HVAC repairs are more complicated than just changing a fuse or turning on the oven. Like any complex machine, your system requires proper sizing, installation, start-up, and maintenance to function reliably. It also requires routine service to uncover issues that can become problems.

Luckily, there are some things you can do to help keep your HVAC repair costs down. One of the best is to stay on top of regular maintenance. Having your unit regularly inspected and cleaned helps prevent problems before they arise. Typically, maintenance includes cleaning or replacing filters, lubricating moving parts and checking airflow.

The average HVAC repair costs range between $500 and $1,800. Approximately 15% to 60% of that price is labor. The other 40% to 85% is the cost of parts. Most professionals either charge by the hour or a flat fee plus the price of the part. Some of the most common problems include blown fuses or tripped breakers. Those issues usually occur when the blower is working too hard, which causes airflow resistance and blockage. Other issues can be less obvious, such as low pressure, thermostat calibration or faulty pipes and valves.

Boiler repairs are generally more expensive than AC repairs or heating repairs. That is because boilers are larger and operate over a longer period of time. Thermostat calibration or malfunction, low water pressure, deposit build up on the pilot light or kettling (a problem with lime scale on the heat exchange) are some of the most common problems that can occur.

Residential and commercial HVAC systems are much more elaborate than home units. They must maintain the temperature of a much larger space and must be able to control multiple zones. That is why commercial units are more prone to breakdowns and repairs than residential systems.

A good HVAC repair technician will know how to troubleshoot complex issues and make the appropriate repairs quickly. This will reduce the amount of time the unit is out of commission. It will also save you the headache of figuring out what the issue is on your own and what you might need to do to fix it.

The most important thing to remember about HVAC repair is that the key to a long- lasting, reliable system is regular maintenance and timely repairs. When you get on a regular schedule of routine maintenance, your unit will last longer, run more efficiently and be less likely to experience problems. This is why it is important to have an annual maintenance plan and to stick with it. If you don’t, your HVAC system will be more prone to breakdowns and repairs and will ultimately cost you more money in the long run. That is why it’s important to choose a reputable service company that has experienced technicians. Contact ADM mechanical today!